Monday, August 29, 2011

Near the End

Hello, again.

My garden is winding down the production, sad to say.  Some plants did great (cucumbers, green beans, spinach, Thai Sun Chilies).  Some plants are just now producing (Scotch Bonnet, Pakistani, and long red slim peppers).  Some plants produced, but not very much (watermelons, tomatoes, bell peppers).  And some failed miserably (peas, roma tomato, bell peppers). 

I think this picture is hilarious.

The cucumbers are still producing, but I think they are done.  Now, I've said that three times before and they kept pumping out cucumbers!  I've eaten a lot of cucumbers this year.  It's been great!

The peppers are coming around and giving me something to work with finally.  The Thai Sun Chilies and the Long Red Slim Chilies I'm dehydrating, deseeding, and mincing into flakes.  I've combined them into a dried pepper flake mix that is damn hot.  I have more dehydrating right now.  Hot!  The Pakistan Chunky Chilies are doing fine.  They are hotter than I thought they would be, which is good.  Speaking of hot, the Scotch Bonnet finally gave me four peppers.  The look awesome!  I used one tonight in a Jamaican Curried Chicken dish I made.  Holy crap, that pepper made me go into a coughing fit!  I could smell the burn when I minced it.  Then, when I washed the cutting board, the capsaicin fumes came rushing at me and took my breath away!  Wow!  Hands are still burning a bit (I couldn't find the rubber gloves.  Don't ask).  The dish was great, and Miss 38th Street and I were sweating.


The tomatoes are just disappointing.  I have only got, maybe, 10 tomatoes from the 5 tomato plants that aren't cherry tomatoes.  The cherries are doing fine.  I had a lot of tomatoes that had severely cracked skin.  So much so, that I couldn't eat over half of them because they molded over before they were ripe.  Sucks.  I'll do better next year.

I did get two Sugar Baby Watermelons!  I didn't know if I would get any, so I'll take the two.  I had two plants which each gave me one.  They tasted great.  I ate one, and I gave the other to my parents.  They said it was good, but had a lot of seeds. 




I'm still waiting on the carrots.  I pulled one and it was still pretty small.  I'm not sure when to pull them, but I hope in the next couple weeks.  We'll see!

I hope to have some more produce to show you here soon.  I hope everyone's garden is doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment