Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Garden Will Be Filled with Greens!

Happy Sunday!

Today was a fantastic day in Indy!  It was warm and sunny and around 70, I believe.  Actually, Saturday was that way, too!  

Today, I really got a boost of the gardening itch.  I have to be honest, I haven't been feeling the gardening love this year, but today, I felt it.  It was good.  We had a walk with the dogs, a bike ride up to Broad Ripple, and a couple Bloody Mary's and lunch.  Great start, hun?  I know.  

Did I mention Saturday?  Ok, Saturday, I cleaned up the garden box and the front yard.  Looks a little more presentable now.  I put four bags of organic garden soil in the garden box.  Trimmed some bushes, flowers and shrubs and put the trimmings in the compost box.  Did a lot of raking.  I wasn't feeling the best, so I took it slow.  It was still nice to be outdoors and in the sun.  It really felt like spring!

Sunday, we got down to some gardening!  We got some seeds planted in a few different places.  We had some left over seeds from last year, so I got some of those in the ground.  We had a little patch were we planted garlic last year, but can't do that this year.  So we had some left over Columbines and Bee Balm flowers which we mixed up and spread.  We hit is with some worm castings and a drink, and hope for the best.

We also got the garden box started.  Since our moving date is TBD, the garden is will be filled with the quick growing greens, and some radishes.  I bought all the seeds from the Seed Savers Exchanging this year, by the way.  Anyway, we're staggering the seeding.  That being said, we planted the following greens:  Mantilia, New Zealand Spinach, Merveille Des Quatre Saisons, Arugula, Tatsoi, plus the aforementioned radishes.  All these should be ready to go in a month or two.  We plan on planting them every two weeks.  We'll hope for the best!  

I have a bit of a bad back I've been dealing with lately, so I'm trying to take this gardening slow and easy.  Lift with the legs.  Bend over with your knees first.  Drink plenty of water.  Take some breaks.  Get your hand out of your pants.  I don't know if that's totally necessary in gardening, but it's advice I seem to receive often, so I think it's a good rule of thumb.  Well, I guess I'm not too good at following that last one, but we'll hope for the best.  

Ok, time for bed.  That's my garden update from this first weekend of April, 2013.  I hope you're garden is off to a great start!

Have a good night and remember to brush your teeth!  Wash your hands!  I know I will.

Rafael

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, we are. The house has been up for sale for a couple months. We're not sure where we are moving just yet. As soon as the house sells, we'll get that worked out. I think it will sell in the next couple months. That's my prediction.

      Delete