Tuesday, February 26, 2013

First Blog of the Year!

Happy New Year!

Belated.

Hello All.  This is the first blog of the year.  I've been stalling on this blog because I really am not sure where our garden will be.  We're still not sure, but I'm starting the blog anyway.  I've waited too long!

This year will be a weird year for us for the gardening season.  The house is on the market and we hope we sell it this year.  If we do, we'll move to a more friendly location for us.  Something a little more comfortable in many regards.  Until that happens, we'll keep on trucking off 38th Street.  I mentioned this in the last blog of the year last year.

The plan this year is to have a lot of containers for a select few veggies and reserve the garden box for quick growing plants like greens and radishes.  I am also trying to secure a plot in a nearby community garden.  I'm eyeing a spot about 7 blocks away from us.  That way, if we move, I'll have a guaranteed for some veggies.  

I've ordered our seeds from Seed Savers Exchange this year.  Last year we used Johnny's Seeds, which were good, and Nature's Crossroads, which sucked, unfortunately.  One of our friends, Brooke Schafer, and some members of the Indiana Organic Gardeners Association told me about the SSE.  They're very cool company.  I'm giving them a try this year.  I mainly ordered greens this year since they grow pretty quickly and we just like greens.  So greens will be the main crop in the garden box this year.  I hope we can be around long enough to harvest most of the crop.  I have ordered some tomatoes, peppers and herbs for the containers.  If we move, at least we'll have a chance for some veggies that we planted.

Here's the inventory thus far for the 2013 garden:
Greens
Mantilia
Tatsoi
Merveille Des Quatre Saisons
Arugula
New Zealand Spinach

Veggies
Scarlet Nantes Carrots
Eva Purple Ball Tomatoes
Black Krim Tomatoes
Blondkopfchen Tomatoes
Miniature Chocolate Bell Peppers
Miniature Red Bell Peppers
Jalapenos, Traveler Strain
Orange Thai Peppers
Plum Purple Radishes
Chives

Most of these items we have never tried before.  The Seed Savers Exchange had a very good variety.  There are a lot of plants I've never heard of before and we're happy to try.  If you get a chance, check out their catalog.  I'll have to add them to the side bar in my links section.

I hope everyone is ready about this year's gardening season!  And wish me luck keeping this cute little garden wrecker out of the garden box.

38th Street Gardener out.


No comments:

Post a Comment