Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rain, Rain and More Rain

It's another rainy Indiana spring.  It's raining daily.  It rained so much this past week, my mint plant that I planted on the south side of the house was washed away!  It was gone.  I did find it five feet down in the landscaping.  We still have had some cold nights.  I had some onions and some spinach die already.  I replanted the spinach last weekend, and replanted some onions this past Saturday (April 23rd). 

I bought another mint plant, peppermint to be exact.  It is getting hardened up with the other transplants we have going.  The baby romaine transplants we have under the lights are looking good.  I looked at the garden today, in the rain, and I see some radicchio popping up.  The spinach is looking good and onions are doing great.  The vivian lettuce is getting bigger.  No sign of the marigolds, yet. 

I was doing some reading today about transplanting garlic.  I bought some garlic transplants at the plant auction earlier this month and I'm trying to decide when to plant this.  I'm reading that it is basically a weed.  It will come back every year, in theory.  So I am not planting it in the square foot garden.  The SFG is still an experiment, so I don't know if it will return next year in it's current form.  So I think I'm going to plant it beside the two strawberry plants I have beside the SFG.  I think I can split the plant up a bit and spread it out.  I'm going to do it this week some time.  If anything I've said is wrong or a bad idea, please let me know.  Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment