Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Years!

Hello, Again!

My first entry of the new year!  I hope everyone had a great 2011 and will have an even better year this time around.  Welcome back to my garden blog.  I made a few changes to the blog for 2012.  I might make a few more.  I hope everyone will enjoy this year's version.  I also hope I get some more advice, too!  I need all the help I can get.

If you're like me, the garden is already on your mind.  In fact, I got some new garden books for Christmas. Mainly from Miss 38th Street's lovely mother (Kathy, you're a peach!)  I have a lot to read.  Check this out:

 I got "Carrots Love Tomatoes," by Louise Riotte.  I studied some companion gardening from several internet articles last year, but I still wanted this book.  I just like having books handy, you know?
I got "The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control," which is a Rodale book.  And it has such a catchy title, huh?   Rodale rocks, so I wanted this book.
Last, but not least, I was given the "Seed to Seed," by Suzanne Ashworth.  This will be a valuable book in the long run, I hope.  I have read a couple segments from it on a website last year.  I liked it.  We gotsta keep it realz.




















I have a lot to read, as you can see.

Now, I've already started on my first garden project.  Last year was the second time I started seeds indoors.  I had mixed results.  I thought the whole experience was great.  Miss 38th Street and I got excited when we came home from work or woke up in the morning to find new sprouts.  Last year, I attempted to start around 50 seedlings or so.  The seed growing set up was a set that I adjusted as I went. It was pretty ugly, but it worked, kinda.

This year, I have taken the next step in my seed growing endeavours.  I have moved the operation to the basement.  My Dad gave me a heavy duty 6ft table last week.  I'm using it as the seed tray table.  But that's not the best part.  Check it:

I installed five sets of grow lights on pulleys!  I have three 4 foot duel lamp fixtures, and two 24 inch duel lamp fixtures.  

I am using tie-line to hang the lights.  I installed 2x4s, plywood, hooks and pulleys.  

I've got five lights that I can adjust as needed.  It's not perfect, but it's a start.  

I still need to run the power to all the fixtures, which I hope to have finished this week.  I am also looking to add some storage to hold all pertinent items to this operation and an oscillating fan.  Possibly a space heater.  I'll have to see the how warm it is down there.  This is really exciting!  It was great when I showed Miss 38th Street.  She was a little stunned at the operation, but was confident in what I was doing.  After looking at this, if anyone has any suggestions.  Please let me know!  

Alright.  That's all I've got for now.  I'm glad you read the blog!  I can't wait till I get some seeds started!

38th Street out.

1 comment:

  1. I am envious of your operation! I look forward to reading your blog in 2012!

    ReplyDelete