Sunday, June 19, 2011

Garden Extended

A few days ago, I think Thursday, I extended the garden west.  We had an area that we planted shasta daisies, foxgloves and cosmos.  The only thing that sprouted were the cosmos at the end of the bed at the fence corner.  By the way, the cosmos that popped up are right beside the ever encroaching Peppermint. 
This area was just a bare area that I just had to weed.  It was getting to me.  Now we have it filled!

There are two shasta daisy mounds and three sentimental blue balloon mounds to bring some flowery goodness to the garden area.  Plus, I have an addiction that I had to feed.  I bought some more tomatoes and peppers.  I added these to the garden and potted one.  We now have a Jalapeno and a Green Pepper plant.  We also added a Big Beef and Big Boy tomato plant. 

We had a couple garden surprises.  Good surprises!  I found these last week.  When was doing my almost daily garden maintenance, I moved a pot to reveal foot tall tomato plant! 
It's kind of hard to see in this picture, but it's in the cage.  It is right on the edge of the sidewalk.  We don't know what kind of tomato it is.  Last year we had Brandywine, Roma and Super 100 cherry tomato plants in the area.  We'll see what it is.  Pretty cool!

Right after I discovered that tomato, I found the other tomato surprise.  It was at the west end of the bed right the edge of the lawn.  I caged it and it is doing well.  The one thing about the tomatoes from last year, is they were monster producers.  They were over 7 feet tall and full of tomatoes!  It was awesome. 
I hope these new additions flourish and give us a nice harvest.  Like the spinach.  I just got our third harvest of spinach of the year tonight.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment