Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Garden Is-A-Poppin

The 38th Street Garden is in full affect.  It is blooming, reaching and booming (thanks to my neighbor's cars).  This being my first year as a dedicated gardener, it's going well.  Most everything is producing or on it's way, Lord help me.  Plus the square foot garden experiment is pretty cool.  I know some things that I'll do differently next year with the square foot.  Mainly, giving certain vegetables more room.  The green beans, tomatoes, and watermelons need more space.  I'll plant the spinach and lettuce differently, as well. 

Harvesting is getting started.  All the spinach has be harvested and eaten.  It was the best tasting spinach I have ever had.  We just took two heads of Vivian Lettuce from the garden a couple days ago.  It's healthy and all, but the flavor is just Ok.  Not planting that next year.  And all the green beans are ready every other day.  That is awesome.  We've been blanching them and freezing them right now. 
I hope to give the garden some fertilizer tomorrow.

I have some new pictures of the garden!

The Thai Sun Chili are doing good.
 I have little cucumbers showing up now.
 Tomatoes are starting to take over.
 All the vines are doing great.  The cucumber and the watermelons are in climbing mode!
Green Beans!
 The carrots and the marigolds are filling out.
 The garden is just looking good.

I'll have more picture tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment