Monday, March 19, 2012

The 2012 Garden Is Started!

Yesterday the 38th Street Garden got started.  It was a busy day out in the yard.  I got several things done on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.  Since it's been so nice recently, like unusually nice, I started the garden 16 days earlier than last year.  I remember last year I was pushing it.  We still had some cold nights.   Not the case now.  It's been so warm, I concerned my spinach and lettuce won't germinate.  Anyway, here's what I did yesterday:

First off, last year I dug up all the Day Lilies from the front of the property.  These flowers were on the outside of the fence.  Miss 38th Street was tired of them and wanted something different.  So she decided on the whole front area should be Black-Eyed Susans.  So I got the whole area prepped, seeded and fenced off so people walking by don't tromp on the seeds.  It's in two sections: 1 1/2' x 10' and 1 1/2' x 23'.

Second, I replaced one of the Blueberry Bushes that died.  I have six again.  Last year, in my gardening frenzy, I purchased six Blueberry Bushes.  They are Elliots and Jerseys.  One of the Elliots died so I picked up one from Lowes called a Blueray Blueberry Bush.  I don't have all the details on this one.  I'm sure it's a hybrid.  But the the Blueberry area is all weeded and I added some sand and peat moss to the beds.  Plus hit them with some Fish Emulsion.

Third, I sectioned off the garden box into square foots.  This year, I did it with nylon string.  I put a nails around the border, then strung the string around them.  It's not one long piece all the way through the garden.  I broke it up into four sections, I think.

Fourth, I planted the first seeds into the garden.  These seeds are mainly Nature's Crossroads, based out of Bloomington, IN.  I planted some Hybrid Spinach, Freckles Lettuce (an heirloom lettuce), Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, Purple Orach (similar to spinach, but more heat tolerant), and Purple Plum Radishes.  The Radishes I planted in the same space where the cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes will be planted.  I read that they are beneficial.

Finally,  I bought a couple garden gnomes (eh, why not) and a new border fence for the garden area.  It's a step up from the cheap one we had last year.  I'm not sure if it will keep out garden pest numero uno: 

Mimi

She's not really the number one pest of my garden.  It's squirrels!  I hate squirrels.  

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but it was dark when I finished.  No light for pics.  I hope to get some today, though.  Alright, I'm going to try to get some of the dirt out from under my fingernails.  

Peace!

2 comments:

  1. You have inspired me to get going on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the weather up there? it's in the high 70's/50's down here in mid-March, I bet it's warmer than usual there, too. This weather through me off. I probably should have planted a couple weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete