Saturday, June 1, 2013

I Don't Garden Naked

June 1st!

Summer is moving right along.  I paid my weekly visit to my community garden plot at the Broadway Community Garden.  It is weed city over there!  Every time I go over there, it looks like I never weeded.

Today I hit Lowe's and Habig's to get some garden supplies.  I picked up some Garden Tone, a bottle of fish fertilizer, a couple bamboo stakes and some straw.  I did my weekly weeding then gave every plant a side dressing of Garden Tone.  They need watered so that fertilizer can take effect.  It better rain soon.

Then I covered the entire garden with straw to do two things:  keep the weeds down and keep the moisture in the bed.  Lastly, I put tomato cages and stakes around as many of the tomatoes I could.  I lost track of how many tomatoes I have.  Whoops.  Maybe I should take inventory, huh?  But hey, look at these lovely pics!




I tell you what, with planning a wedding, mixed with my full work schedule and the normal life stuff, I haven't been as attentive to the garden as I normally am.  Plus, I do have the garden box here at the house.  It's doing ok.  I got about 10 good Radishes.  They were nice in our salads.  The Arugula is bolting.  I thought it would have been bigger, but this is the first time I've grown them.

Well, that's it for now.  Man, I can't wait till I can eat some tomatoes and peppers from the garden!  And yes, it's true.  I do not garden naked.  That sounds like a terrible idea.  I think my friend Leah told me there was a national naked gardening day.  This will not be happening on 38th Street or any other street for that matter!  Unless I'm reeeeeaaaalllly drunk and decide it's a great idea to go work in the garden.  Oh please, let Miss 38th Street stop that before it happens.

38th Street Gardener.  Out.


No comments:

Post a Comment