Monday, June 10, 2013

Work Day at the Community Garden

Hello Broadway Street!

I had my first group meeting with the members of the Broadway Community Garden.  It was pretty much a maintenance day.  Weed and cover the path, clean up your plots and clean up the remaining unclaimed plots.  There were 6 of us there this meeting.  The Organizer, Sarah, gave us some direction, dropped off a few waters and some donuts and she was off.  So, the rest of us got down to it and knocked it out.  Rachel, Josh, Isaac, and Angela are my gardener community.  Everyone was cool and not afraid of some work.

Side Note:  Sarah was pointing out who had what plot and she said some nice things about my plot.  I believe she said "beautiful."  Why thank you.  Ego boost! 

The Path got knocked, as you can see.  That's a lot of cardboard and wood chips, everyone.

After all the community stuff was finished.  I back to garden business.  The garden had a few casualties.  Only one of the four Cucumbers I planted lived.  So, I bought a Cantaloupe plant and put it in between the Cucumber and the Watermelon (I have a problem this time of year. I can't stop buying plants!).  Then I added the trellis for the bunch to grow up.

Hey, look at that Corn!  This the first time I've attempted Corn and they are looking great!  I'm excited about this.  The Corn smells awesome.

What's that saying?  Knee high by the 4th of July?  Well, we're looking good, 38th Street.

The Tomatoes are looking fine.  Once the hot weather starts, they should all pick up the pace.  We got to Mexi this joint up!  I need my tomatoes!

Here's the whole schabang.  Pretty nice.  I need to add a little more straw.  I have a few bare spots.  Those darn weeds kept on coming. 

 Well it getting late, just like every time I write.  I need to get my ass to bed and dream of tomatoes, corn, peppers and melons, and Miss 38th Street's melons.  Ha, Ha!  Just kidding!  Kinda.

38th Street OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment