Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I Have Straw in Places Where There Should Never Be!

Hello Gardening World!

The month of June has been pretty good for the gardens.  We have had a good amount of rain and my gardens have loved it.  Both plots are doing well.  I just pulled two more heads of lettuce out of the garden box, as well as some more Arugula.  I made a salad for Ms. 38th Street and I made completely from greens from the garden.  I love it!

I was gone for the weekend up in Angola, IN.  When I came back to check on the Broadway Community Garden on the yesterday, I was happy to see it was doing well.  I did have a fair amount of weeds, too, but I pulled most of them.  I slapped on some more straw, too.  I had straw EVERYWHERE.  I mean EVERYWHERE (You know what I'm sayin, but I'm not sayin.  Tryin to keep this puppy clean, you know).

 

The tomato jungle is starting to form.  I always put those darn plants too close together.  Oh well, I'll hope for the best.  Man, I love the way the tomato plants smell after you brush up against them!
 
Hey!  Check out the corn!  I'm really liking the way this is looking.  It's around 4ft tall!
 
I have my mish-mosh of vines on the trellis.  They are going up!  That's great considering how this section started.  I have the one Cucumber, one Cantaloupe, one Sugar Baby Watermelon. 
 
I added the Marigolds for a little decoration and a little protection.  We'll see if they help.  Most of the flowers are looking good, though.
 
The Spanish Onions are doing OK.  I was a little skeptical about buying these transplants.  So far, so good!
 

  SIDE NOTE
 I found these trellis ideas I want to share with the people, el gente.  Ms. 38th Street might have given this to me, actually.  Either way, I think these are great ideas.  I also saw a good trellis idea from Skippy's Vegetable Garden blog.  I don't know if I should swipe a photo from her blog to show you, so maybe you should just check it out.  It's a great blog.  She is trellising her tomatoes.

 OK, maybe I should get to work.  Slow day today, though.  One of those days when you're just waiting for people to get back to you so you can move along.

Adios! 

38th Street Gardener is OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment