Monday, April 23, 2012

IOGA Plant Auction!

Hey, Hey!

Saturday, Miss 38th Street and I went to this year's Indiana Organic Gardeners Association's Plant Auction!  It was at the Zionsville Public Library.  You know, Miss 38th Street and I have never driven through downtown Zionsville.  It was nice!  It had a great look and a lot of great places to spend money.  Anyway, we started with a pitch-in lunch, which was tasty.  I brought a Chicken Verde Bean Dip.  I think people liked it.  We did a little QnA and business, then on to the real fun: The Plant Auction.  I went to this event last year and I was way into it.  This year, Miss 38th Street came with me to check it out.

I donated six plants, which is a lot less than I wanted.  My seedlings aren't doing as well as I hoped.  My plants were two Roma Tomatoes, two Black Krim Tomatoes and two Tomatillos.  I don't know if they all were sold, but I hope they did!  They had some nice plants up for auction.  We scoped out a few items that were must haves.  I talked to Claudia Clark (her and her husband are the auctioneers) about starting with a certain plant first.  She did.  Thanks, Claudia!  I really wanted to get it for Miss 38th Street.

Miss 38th Street wasn't quite into it at first, but once it got going, she started to get focused.  She liked it.  She'll be back next year, for sure.  Unfortunately, we had to leave early to get to my nephews birthday party (which was great), but we still got some nice plants.  Plus, all the money goes to IOGA, which is fantastic.

Speaking of fantastic, here's what we got:

First off, I was the high bidder for the first item of the day (the plant I really wanted), the Light Pink Peony.  We got two.

Then Miss 38th Street got two Asiatic Lilies.  Actually, I'm not sure what color they'll be.  We'll see!


Then we got a fern, which I didn't catch the name, but it looks like this.  We got one of those.  We have lots of shade, so it should work well in that area.


Finally, we picked up one little Black Cherry Tomato plant.  I have a bunch of tomato seedlings in the basement growing, but hey, I couldn't resist.


Man, I'm so ready to get these plants in the ground, as well as my seedlings.  I think I'll have to wait till this weekend.  Still a little too cold in the evenings.  I have to say thanks to everyone at IOGA for planning the plant auction and the monthly meeting.  It was great.  I can't wait for the next one!  Oh, their link is over here on the right.  Check it out.  

Till next time!

Rafael











No comments:

Post a Comment