Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Composter

When I returned home today, I crushed the dried egg shells we had sitting on top of the frig.  It was about 8 egg shells.  I threw them into the compost bin.  Then I shredded some more fall leaves and threw those in, too.  I've been storing fall leaves in garbage bags in the garage.  The compost book recommended that you use one part "wet green" to every four parts "dry brown" (shredded fall leaves). 

This is our first compost bin.  I got the Soilsaver compost bin.  I got it off ebay for like $60 with free shipping!  That's a compost score!  That is so stupid!  Anyway, I got it around Thanksgiving.  Not a whole lot of action in the compost bin at the moment.  It's starting to do some work.  I know it'll get the job done, like Big Daddy Kane. 

I've seen on composting websites that the real compost action doesn't really get going until it's a 135 to 160 degrees.  When it's cold out side, it should be stirred once a month.  So, I stir it once a month at the moment.  I did it today.  I'm making a note of that. 

A local Indy note:  If you haven't been to Locally Grown Gardens and you live around the Broad Ripple area, you should check it out.  They have fresh produce from around the state or close by, a hog roast everyday, fresh bread and apple pies, fresh eggs, and lots of sodas and drinks in old glass bottles, like Ting!  My favorite drink from Jamaica.  All praise Jah!  EXODUS!  MOVEMENT OF JAH PEOPLE...        soooo, they also sell garden veggie and herb transplants.  I got all the tomatoes from them last year.  Woah, they were good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment