Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Garden Is Coming Together

This Saturday, I dropped some more money to get the soil mix made.  We did the Square Foot Gardening mix; the Mel Mix!


Unfortunately,  I did not buy enough to make all the soil mix I needed.  So we have to make another trip to the landscaping store to get all the things I need.  Mainly Vermiculite.  That stuff is pricey.  I can say, the soil we mixed up is really nice.  Hopefully, we'll have all the soil mix and the garden box ready for some seeds.

As far as the seedlings are concerned, we're doing good.  I have 15 seedlings in little cups of soil under some grow lights in the basement.  I've got some anaheim chilies, pakistan chunky chilies, thai sun chilies, long red slim chilies, scotch bonnet peppers and some lavender.  My seed tray is molding over, so that's a downer.  Only one seedling was overcome by mold.  Overall, I'm happy with what I have.  It's nice to see the little guys getting bigger and stronger.

GO TEAM!

2 comments:

  1. All that nice dark Indiana soil and you are mixing soil? Or do you have that nifty clay soil front yard? Do you know what veggies you are planting? I am thinking of doing a habenero in the one of them topsy turveys just for grins! - MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah man, I got a load of veggies getting planted. I'll list it all later. A lot of peppers, though. I'm mixing soil as an experiment. Our soil is not that great. It's mainly rocks. Very rocky soil all over our property. I'm giving the square foot garden a try, see how it works. I am planting Scotch Bonnets, Thai Sun Chili, Pakistan Chunky Chili, Anaheim Chili, Long Red Slim Chili, and Bell Peppers.

    ReplyDelete