Monday, March 7, 2011

My 38th Street Garden

Hello,

It's the The 38th Street Gardener here.  That is a hilarious statement!  Anyway, I live just off 38th street, but close enough.  Well, I started this blog more for myself so I can keep track of my progress this year, as well as giving and receiving tips for the urban gardener. 

My girlfriend and I are planting our second garden in our small plot of land.  Last years garden was kinda successful.  I planted what I thought was a garden to surprise Miss 38th Street Gardener.  It mainly consisted of tomatoes, vegetables consumed by the tomatoes and disease ridden fruit n' veggies.  We had tomatoes, oh did we have tomatoes.  Luckly, we love tomatoes.  Unfortunately, we didn't preserve them. 

So this is the 2011 version of my 38th Street Garden.  I have a plan this time.  I read a couple books that helped me get going:  Mike McGrath's Book of Compost and Mel Bartholomew's All New Square Foot Gardening.  These were great books.  I've started my compost bin in the back yard, and I have a square foot garden mapped out for the front yard. 

Ok, that enough to start this blog.  I will write again soon.  I have some steps in the process completed, but I don't want to RAMBLE ON. 

SPRING IS NEAR!!!!!

38th St Gardener

4 comments:

  1. Rafael:

    I am very excited to see how your garden progresses! I love square foot gardening and have gotten very impressive yields using that method.

    -Sarah Sic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!

    Good luck with the garden. I know I can't wait to get my Back Porch Thai Red Dragon Chili Peppers started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you planning on learning the art of canning this year?

    ReplyDelete